- Identify the most common medical terms by defining them and using them in context.
- Demonstrate independence in gathering vocabulary knowledge when encountering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression.
- This is a mastery level activity and also functions as an informal assessment of student fluency
- Often students are initially self-conscious about this activity, but after enjoying the laughter and relaxed atmosphere they are willing to give it a try
- Humor is a great palliative against fear
- Activity Instructions
- Before beginning this activity any questions about definitions or pronunciations of the 20 words should be answered
- From the list of twenty words, each group chooses ten at random
- Two volunteers will be given a random stack of ten cards to perform a “scene” with audience suggestions about place and situation
- The goal is to naturally work your ten words into the dialogue before your partner uses her or his ten words
- How was this activity?
- What do you need to know in order to use a word fluently in conversation? Be as specific as you can with this
- Additional Resources: Medical Terminology Unit Word Building
- Unit: Word Building
- Course: Medical Terminology
Developed by Kerry Bank, I-BEST Instructor
Santa Fe Community College